Monday, April 7, 2014

Tutorial: Milk Box to Pencil Case

Hellooowww,

It's been ages since the last time we made any tutorial. This time, we made a pretty basic DIY project that has been done for million times, but this time, we use scrap fabrics instead of paper or fabrics.


Before you ask, no, we are not paid by Greenfields. I'm just too lazy to censor the brand of the milk. 

My desk in the office is pretty dull. Nothing colourful nor fancy on top of the desk. Then I thought, why not making something that's pretty useful yet looks... different? So I took this milk box from my office's trash bin, cleaned it, dried it, brought it back home. Combined with scrap fabrics that I had, voila! This is the result.

The "ingredients"
- used milk box
- scrap fabrics
- fusible interfacing
- glue
- scissor, ruler, cutter,the usual stuffs

How to make


1. Cut the box

Measure the box 12 cm (or any height that you want) from the bottom. Mark it with pen, then cut it with scissor or cutter. It doesn't have to be superbly neat, you'll cover it anyway.




2. Prepare you fusible interfacing and scrap fabrics

Cut the fusible interfacing with measurement:
width = (at least) circumference of your milk box + 5 cm
height = (at least) height of your cut milk box + 2 cm +  half of the width of the base rectangle

In my case, my box height is 12 cm with a square base, each side is 7 cm.

width = (7 cm x 4) + 5 cm = 33 cm
height = 12 cm + 2 cm + (1/2 x 7 cm) = 17.5 cm (at least. I ended up up cut it 20 cm, just to be safe)

Prepare your scrap fabrics. Properly iron each scraps. Arrange your fabric first to make sure it fit the fusible interfacing before you start ironing it.

Once you're sure about the composition and the arrangement of your scrap fabrics, start ironing them to the sticky side of your fusible interfacing. Remember, since the sticky side is upside, make sure your iron doesn't iron the sticky side (you get what I mean, right?).


Voila!


3. "Sew" your scrap fabrics

Have fun with your scrap fabrics! Sew it in any way that you like to make the fabric "stick" more to the fusible interfacing and to add some accent to the scraps. Since I never sew as an accent before, I just sew randomly across the scrap fabric. Make sure you try it first on other fabric before you start sewing (well, I'm a beginner anyway).


And this is me "sewing" my scrap fabrics.


This is the result. I think I should use a thread with brighter colour instead.


4. Glue the scrap fabrics to the box

Before you start gluing, trim any excess fabrics on all sides to make it neat and easy to work with. Once you trim all sides, fold inside one of the side (left or right), iron, then glue it.



Folded side.

Now prepare your box. Position it around half width of the base rectangle (in my case, 3.5 cm) from the bottom. Make sure the folded-glued side in the end will touch exactly the side of you milk box.


Start gluing the non-folded side to your box. 


Keep on gluing until you touch the folded side.


And yay! You did it!


And this is the top of your box.


Fold the fabric inside, then glue.


Now go to the bottom! Start putting glue to the base and the fabric.


Fold it like this, glue. Do the same with the opposite part.


Bring the "triangle" to the middle, both sides.


You did it!

In my previous pencil box, I covered the bottom with another card paper or fabric, but it's up to you.

The final result


I add a fabric flower that I made from other scrap fabrics. Since I made the flower in a rush, the petals are skewed here and there.


Yay! 


Thank you.

Fili & Lino


No comments:

Post a Comment