Thursday, November 1, 2012

Experiment Corner : DIY Making Quotation/Letters Applique



  • Hello, welcome to Fili's experiment corner :)

    Experiment corner is a place where I try something new for the first time. There might be some miscalculation, changes and mistakes within the process. 

    My plan was to make a tote bag with quotes on it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do screen printing nor have the tools to do that. Instead, I planned to use some fabrics to make the quotes. I planned to make a tutorial that includes the making of the tote bag. Alas, when I checked the photos that I prepared for this tutorial, it required more than 50 images and a superbly long entry. Thus, I cut it out and focus only to the making of the quotation/letter applique.


    • Please have your seat and let's start the adventure :)

    Design


    Materials:

    -  plain cream coloured fabric
    -  medium weight fusible interfacing
    -  red, yellow, green and white felt/jersey/knit fabric
    -  pin
    -  pencil
    -  scissors
    -  ruler*

    * : Additional material

    Process

    1. Choose your quotations/words/letters. I used one of my favourite quotes "Keep Calm and Puke Rainbow Continuously"
    2. Use WordArt at MS Word (or other programmes that you know) to make the template in the font size that you desired.


    Use the simple WordArt that only have the outline of the font since we only need the outer shape. Besides, we also save the environment by saving your ink :). Paper size: A4, Font: Arial (or any other font that you like). I put the same amount of letters in every line. I also didn't add any space between the words. Unfortunately,  the space between the lines are quite big and I didn't know how to fix this (as you can see, I'm not very good with lots of computer programmes, including this one). I made the font size as big as the page can accommodate. 
  • (Note: This reckless prediction will cause a trouble latter ^^;)



  • 3. Cut the letters per line.


    4. Decide which colour that you want for which words/letters. In this tutorial. I decided to use cream coloured fabric for the words. Arrange these letters on top of the cream fabric. Cut the fabrics in the same size of the overall letters. 


    5. Cut the interfacing in the same size as the cream fabric that had just been cut before.


    Before we iron and copied the whole letters into fabric, try to arrange it on top of  your tote bag.
    When I tried it, the letters are too big for the bag so I had to reduce the size of the letters and remove "Continuously". 

    (Note: I reduced the letters manually because I don't have printer in my house, so I added "ruler" as the additional materials)


    Even after I removed the word "Continuously", I still didn't have enough space for the rainbow picture. Thus, I cut each letters 0,5 mm on top and bottom, except for the word "And" (about 1 cm on both top and bottom).


    Unfortunately the condition didn't change that much, even after I reduced the letters' size. So I decided to change the design a bit. I removed the rainbow icon. Instead, I would make a full colour "Rainbow" word. The interesting fact is, "Rainbow" word have seven letters, the same number as rainbow colours ;)

    Let's renew the process 

      1. Collect a colourful scrap fabrics. I choose jersey because it doesn't fray
  • . Cut the scrap fabric into rectangle shape, as big as each letter.



  • 2. Cut the interfacing that already prepared before into two parts, one for a cream fabric and one for the colourful scrap fabrics.


    3. Iron the fusible interfacing to the fabrics.



4. Cut each printed letters. Trace each letter in the back of interfaced fabrics (it's better if you use pencil instead). Place each letter in the reverse position.



5. Cut each letter and arrange it on top of tote bag main part. Pin it.


6. Remove pin and sew the letter one by one. Don't remove all the pins at the same time or the position will change. Always recheck the position of the letters before you sew it.


Aaaaaand done :D


Last note:

Next time, I must use fabric that is not easily fray. It doesn't look really good when the threads are all over the place. Fortunately there was no problem a jerseys or knits. They keep in good shape even after a while :) However, if you want to have a little bit grunge and natural look, you can always use cotton that lined with fusible interfacing. It is fraying, but not much since the fusible interfacing holds the fabrics. 


That's it, thank you for reading this long entry :)

I hope you enjoy it and I'll be very happy if you try this experiment by yourself. You always can inform me how your experiment goes :)b.

Have fun, see you next time!

Fili

2 comments:

  1. Try using a double sided fusible interfacing. It won't fray (as in the last pic) and it keeps everything in place while appliqueing.


    Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment :) Unfortunately, in our country, it almost impossible to find a double sided fusible interfacing. Lino found it when she was abroad, but not in our country T_T

    ReplyDelete